I have had 3 on repeat. 1. is Derrick Carter's 2011 westfest live mix. 2. Samone Roberts 5mag mix. 3. Dj Kwest_on Groove Session. As a House Dj I believe it is so important to go back to basics. This comes from my ballet background. As a dancer you are always required to take at least one beginning class. One will be surprised how quickly they forget. I went back to basics. I listened and learned. Here is a short list of what I took from my self studies.
1. Intros can be exciting most of the time they are intriguing
2. When playing live even the Greats make mistakes. Realize. Fix it. Move forward.
3. Certain mixes touch your soul. Half the time you don't realize it. Kinda like the break a la Africa Bambataa
4. programming is so important. Finesse is key. but it should come naturally.
5. Music relates to real life. Utilize your lessons.
6. At the end of the day I am more open to new music . Mixes do get you open.
With all that being said... A.D (AfterDisco.com) is right around the corner Nov 11,2011. Mr.Suit put me on to RCMP ( Young Robots Records/Philadelphyinz) . Oh my I was impressed. Keep on jumpin one of my first disco favorites. go check it out! Decision is yours. Maintain a open mind. You will be amazed.
Much Love, Yazi The DJ
SideNote: I feel better. Thanks for reading.